In this post, you will get all ICAR Important Notes For IBPS AFO, NABARD and other Agri competitive exams At the end of the post you will get an important downloadable pdf don’t forget to download.
ICAR Important Notes For Competitive Exam
- Farm Science congress was conducted for the first time in Bengaluru on Jan 3, 2020. Note:
- Farm Science Congress held at Indian National Science Congress in
- Farm Science Congress was conducted for the first time in 107 years history of the Indian science congress. The event highlighted the importance of farmer’s innovations and their Scientific Validity.
- Six Month Cross border Agri-tech Incubation Programme launched jointly by Pusa Krishi Incubator; ICAR & embassy of Indo-Brazil is- MAITRI (Dec 9, 2019)
- ICAR notified three institutes having infrastructure facilities to screen samples of COVID-19 for humans is:
- NIHSAD (National Institute of High-Security Animal Diseases), Bhopal, M.P.
- National Research Center on Equines- Hisar, Haryana
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) – Izzatnagar, U.P.
- ‘King Bhumibol World Soil Day 2020 Award’ of FAO is bestowed to ICAR to honour ICAR’s excellent contributions in “Soil Health Awareness” on the theme “Stop Soil erosion, save our future” during the 2019
- Agri voltaic system of 105 KW capacity technology developed by ICAR-CAZRI, Jodhpur. This technology will increase the income of the farmers by generation of electricity and growing cash crops on same piece of land.
v Total number of indigenous breeds registered by ICAR are 197
- ICAR-IASRI could infrastructure and services for National Agricultural Research & Education system is Krishi Megh at New Delhi (11 Aug 2020)
v Krishi Megh is the Data recovery centre of ICAR, for protecting data of the ICAR.
- e–Learning portal of ICAR on agriculture education is e- Krishi Sisksha
- System of Agri Information Resource Auto-Transmission and Technology Hub Interface of ICAR is Kisan Sarathi
- Fat-Free flavoured Makana without using edible oil or fat developed by CIPHET, Ludhiana
- The flood-resistant Red Rice variety developed by AICRP is Sahyadri Panchamukhi
- ICAR and Digital India Corporation (DIC) signed MoU to provide farm tele advisories to farmers across India through Interactive Information Dissemination System (IIDS) of DIC through Kisan Sarathi (June 2021)
- A novel Portable Meat Production and Retailing Facility developed by NRCM, Meat Hygienic Meat Production from Small Ruminants is Portable Meat Production and Retailing Facility (P-MART)
- The Advanced Solar based Alternate Energy Light Trap (AELT) Device invented by the scientists of the ICAR- National Rice Research Institute, Cuttack, Odisha
Note: The automated AELT is an economic and eco-friendly insect trapping device for trapping flying insects
- New high yielding field crop varieties released by ICAR during 2019-21 are 562 (Cereals 223, Oilseeds- 89, Pulses-101, Forage crops- 37, Fiber crops- 90, Sugar cane-14 & Potential crops- 8).
- Central Government recently approved field trials of Indigenous Bt Brinjal Varieties – Janak and BSS-793 (Developed by IARI contains Bt Cry1Fa1 gene) (IMP)
- The ICAR-IISR, Kozhikode has received Patent for Micronutrient Formulation for Black Pepper. The Black Pepper Micronutrient Mixture’s application enhances products’
- ICAR-IISR, Calicut institute has successfully developed, field-tested and commercialized the seed coating technology of PGPR/beneficial microbes for seeds.
- The first indigenous vaccine (brand name CIBA-NODAVAC-R) for deadly Viral Nervous Necrosis (VNN) disease of Fish was developed by the Central Institute of Brackish Aquaculture,Chennai.
- India’s First Aquaculture Technology Park for better technology demonstration and knowledge dissemination set up at ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture (CIFA), Bhubaneshwar.
- “Virtual Classroom” & Web Education Channel” of ICAR-NAHEP is Agri Diksha (16 April 2021)
- Soil Moisture Indicator to indicate soil moisture status and suitable for different soil types developed by Sugarcane Breeding Institute (SBI),
v Hallur ‘Soft Bajra Atta’ developed by Division of Biochemistry, IARI, New Delhi.
Note: Hallur having the quality to preserve the prosperity of nutrients of Bajra and enriched with the dough making property of wheat.
- A global summit of Overseas and Resident Indian scientists and academicians is- Vaishwik Bharatiya Vaigyanik Summit (VAIBHAV) inaugurated on 2nd October, 2020
- ICAR conferred with Digital India Award under OPEN DATA CHAMPION category by Hon’ble President of
v Contingency plans for 648 districts prepared by ICAR- CRIDA, Hyderabad
- ICAR-Central Institute for Women in Agriculture (ICAR-CIWA) First institute in the world that is exclusively devoted to gender-related research in agriculture
- The target number of Nutri-smart villages to be created by ICAR by 2022 are 100
v Ag-Tech-Hackathon: KRITAGYA: To promote Farm mechanization
- Launched by: ICAR-NAHEP
- Launched on: 15 Sep, 2020
- To give an opportunity to the students / faculties / entrepreneurs/ Innovators and others to showcase their innovative approaches & technology solutions to promote farm mechanization in India.
- Acronym for KRITAGYA: KR for Krishi (Agriculture), TA for Taknik (Technology) and GYA for Gyan (Knowledge).
- Agri Start-Up/Agri Incubator programme of ICAR-IARI is Pusa Krishi Incubator on 24 Dec, 2018.
- The third edition of the Global Potato Conclave was held at Gandhinagar, Gujarat on 28 to 31 January, 2020.
- Launched by M. of India.
- Aim: to highlight achievements and opportunities in the area of potato research, trade, industry and Value
- Organized by Indian Potato Association, ICAR & ICAR-CPRI, Shimla & International Potato Center, Lima,
- “Lipoxygenase-2 free Soyabean” with reduced Off-flavor developed by ICAR is NRC 109
- Genetically Modified Cotton varieties developed by Punjab Agricultural University (PAU), Ludhiana are PAU Bt 1 and F1861
- Genetically Modified Cotton variety developed by Rajasthan Agriculture University is RS 2013
- International Horticulture Innovation and Training Centre is located in Jaipur, Rajasthan
- IARI has developed ‘Pusa Soil Testing and Fertilizer Recommendation Meter’ for facilitating the reach of soil testing at the farmers
v Technology Business Incubator (TBI) hosted by ICAR- NAARM is a-IDEA (Association for Innovation Development of Entrepreneurship in Agriculture),
- An innovative approach, introduced by IWMI, Bhubaneswar, CGIAR climate to alleviate crop loss through floods is Index- Based Flood Insurance (IBFI)
- RAWEP programme formulated by MS Randwa committee
|English Publications||Hindi Publications|
|1. Indian Journal of Agricultural
|2. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences
|Phal Phool (Bi Monthly)|
|3. Indian Farming (Monthly)||Krishi Chanikya (First
|4. ICAR News (Quarterly)|
|5. ICAR Reporter (Quarterly)|
|6. Indian Horticulture (Bi Monthly)|
|7. ARIS (Quarterly)|
***Monthly Journal Published by Ministry of Agriculture –
Agricultural Situation in India.
|Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR)
|State Agriculture Universities||63|
|Central Agricultural Universities||03|
|Central University with Agriculture
|National Research centers||14|
|ATARIs (Agricultural Technology
Application Research Institutes) / KVK Zones
|**Krishi Vigyan Kendra’s||722|
Various ICAR Awards:
|Swami Sahajanand Saraswati||Extension work|
|Haldhar award-||Organic Farming|
|Lalbahadur sastry Award||Young scientist award|
|Rafi Ahmad Kidwai Award||Outstanding Research in Agril. & allied Sciences|
|Fakruddin Ali Ahmed||Outstanding Research in
|Chaudhary Devi Lal||Outstanding AICRP award|
|Sardar Vallabhai Patel award||Outstanding ICAR institute
|Punjab rao deshmukh||Outstanding Woman Scientist
|Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Krishi Vigyan Puraskar||Best KVK|
|*King Baudoin International Prize||Green Revolution|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Award||Outstanding Doctoral thesis
research in agricultural and allied sciences
|Dr. Rajendra puraskar||Technical bulletins in Hindi|
|NG Ranga Award||Diversified agriculture|
|Jagjivan ram Puraskar||Innovative farmer|
|C. Subramanyam award||Outstanding teacher|
|Chaudhary Charan Singh Award||Excellence in Journalism in
Agricultural Research and Development
|Vasantrao Naik award||Outstanding research and application in Dry land
Varieties released by ICAR; Biofortified and Other Imp.Varieties:
v ** Climate-Smart Varieties developed by NRRI, Cuttack – CR Dhan 801 & CR Dhan 802 (which are tolerant to both submergence and drought
v Two superior chickpea varieties developed for the first time by using Genomics Assisted Breeding is – “Pusa Chickpea-10216” and “Super Annigeri 1”
- Note: Pusa Chickpea 10216 developed by ICAR- IARI in collaboration with the
- UAS, Raichur (Karnataka) has developed super Annigeri 1 and in collaboration with ICRISAT.
- New Blockbuster wheat variety developed by IARI with high yield and protein content is- HD3226 or Pusa Yashasvi
v High yielding bacterial blight resistant rice developed by IIRR, Hyderabad – DRR Dhan 53
- *India’s first high oleic acid groundnut varieties developed by ICAR-DGR Junagadh is Girnar 4(ICGV 15083) & Girnar 5 (ICGV 15090)
- Anti-Oxidant rich Purple Potato Variety developed by CPRI Shimla is Kufri Neelakanth
- The latest Wheat Variety developed by ICAR for irrigated timely sown conditions of NE Plains is Karan Vandana (DBW- 187)
- Outstanding Forage Hybrid released in 2019 for revolutionizing forage sorghum production in India is- CSH-24 (developed by GPBUAT & ICRISAT)
- High yielding Soyabean variety developed by using cross-breeding technique by Agarkar Research institute, Pune is MACS 1407 (39 quintals per hectare) which gives 39 quintals per
- Cadalmin Neutraceutical from Sea weeds developed by
- Protein rich rice varieties CR Dhan 310 & CR Dhan 311
- Pigeon pea – PUSA Arhar 16 (determinate, extra early maturity, 120 days)
- Wonder variety of Sugarcane – Co-0238 (First wonder cane variety Co-205)
v BT cotton varieties developed by PAU is: F1861, PAU Bt 1 (for cultivation in Punjab & Haryana)
- BT cotton variety developed by Rajasthan Agricultural University is RS 2013
- First Hybrid variety of Tobacco in India is- GTH-1
- Low neurotoxin varieties of grass pea are Rattan, Nirmal, Prateek
- A high yielding YMV resistant and aphid tolerant Tobacco variety developed by CTRI,Rajahmundry is Sulakshana
- Two Processable tomato hybrids developed by IIHR Bangalore is Arka Visesh, Arka Apeksha & Arka Yojith
- Multiple (7) disease resistant High yielding Wheat variety is – HD 3226
v India’s first triple disease resistant tomato hybrid is Arka Rakshak
- Multiple disease resistant (4 diseases) tomato hybrid developed by IIHR is Arka Abhed
v Spineless variety of Safflower- NARI-6
- First ever short duration/Early maturing Moong bean (< 60 days) – Virat (IPM 205-7)
- Miracle red gram variety/ extra early (120 days) maturing, semi- dwarf (120 cm), determinate,high yielding variety red gram variety is Pusa Arhar 16
- BLB of rice disease resistant basmati variety PUSA 1592, Punjab Basmati-3
- Blast disease resistant rice variety-PUSA 109
- Nematode resistant variety of papaya- Pusa Majesty
- Day neutral and spineless variety of Okra- Pusa Sawani
v Black Variety of Carrot- Pusa Asita
- World earliest maturity variety of cotton genotype was identified by CICR scientist (2017) -Variety name – Yugank
- Biofortification is the process by which the nutritional quality of food crops is improved through agronomic practices, conventional plant breeding or modern biotechnology
|CR Dhan 310–Protein-rich variety|
|CR Dhan 311 (Mukul)- Rich in Protein & Zinc, suitable for
rainfed shallow lowland & medium land.
|Zinco Rice MS – rich in Zinc (27.4 PPM) Highest Zinc Rich|
|DRR Dhan 45 & 315 –zinc rich variety)|
|CR Dhan 15|
|WB 02 (Zinc & Iron rich variety)|
|HD 3298- rich in protein and Iron|
|MACS 4028, DBW 303 and DDW 48 rich in protein|
|Pusa Tejas (HI 8759) durum (Rich in protein, Iron & Zinc, suitableirrigated timely sown conditions.|
|HPBW 01 (Iron & Zinc rich variety)|
|Groundnut||Girnar-4 and Girnar 5 (High oleic acid)|
|Pusa Vivek QPM9- Provitamin-A, lysine & tryptophan rich hybrid.|
|Ladhowal Quality Protein Maize Hybrid 1, 2 and 3
& Pusa HM8Improved- rich in lysine & tryptophan
|Pusa HM9 Improved (lysine & tryptophan-rich hybrid)|
|Pearl millet,||HHB 299 (iron & zinc rich hybrid)|
|AHB 1200 (iron rich hybrid)|
|Finger Millet||CFMV1 and 2 rich in Calcium, Iron and Zinc|
|Little millet||CLMV1 rich in iron and zinc|
|Lentil||Pusa Ageti Masoor (iron rich variety)|
|Pusa Mustard 30- low erucic acid variety (<2%
|Pusa Mustard 32 with low erucic acid|
|Pusa Double Zero Mustard 31– low erucic acid & low glucosinolate variety|
|Cauliflower||Pusa Beta Kesari 1 (β-carotene rich variety)|
|Sweet Potato||BHU Krishna (anthocyanin rich variety)|
|Potato||BHU Sona (β-carotene rich variety)|
|Pomegranate||Solapur Lal (Iron, zinc & vitamin-C rich variety)|
|Tomato||Arka Rakshak– India’s first Triple disease resistant(Leaf curl, Bacterial wilt
& early blight) F1 Hybrid
|Yam||Sri Neelima and DA 340 – High Zinc, Iron and
(Note: Cereals are deficient in “Lysine” amino acid, Pulses are deficient in “Methionine”)
- PM of India dedicates 17 biofortified varieties of 8 crops to the nation on occasion of on the occasionof 75th Anniversary of the Agriculture and Food Organization (FAO)
- Co-0238 (Karan 4)–Wonder Variety of Sugarcane, released by Sugarcane Breeding Institute, Regional Centre,
- Pusa rudhira is an improved variety of Carrot
- Antioxidant-rich, red-coloured Okra variety developed by IIVR, Varanasi– Kashi lalima
- An Arsenic resistant high yielding, thin aromatic rice variety is Muktoshri (W.B.)
- New Potato Varieties for Table Purpose – Kufri Neelkanth, Kufri Mohan, Kufri Ganga &
ICAR Varieties and technologies Making Impact:
- Revolutionary basmati Rice Pusa Basmati 1121 Forex earning 26, 850 cr (2019-20)
- CRRI Rice varieties cover 18-20% of the rice area of the country; gross value worth 48,000 Cr per year
- Co-0238 (12% Sugar Recovery) worth gross value- Rs.28,795 Cr every year
Programmes Launched by ICAR: (it is important for agri exam)
- National Innovations on Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA), 2011 is a network project of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) launched in – February,
Three components: Strategic research,
Demonstration & Capacity Building
- AGRI UDAAN, 2017–Food and agribusiness Accelerator Start up Program 0, launched by ICAR’s NAARM in collaboration with IIM-Ahmadabad in August, 2017
3. ARYA- Attracting and Retaining Youth in Agriculture, July, 2015
- To attract and empower the Youth in Rural Areas and to prevent migration of youth from rural to urban areas, to take up various Agriculture, allied sector enterprises for sustainable income and gainful employment in agriculture.
4. READY- Rural and Entrepreneurship Awareness Development Yojana – July 2015.
- To promote entrepreneurial skills among agricultural
- It will provide an opportunity for the students to learn and understand agricultural practices in collaboration with farmers.
5. Mera Gaon-Mera Gaurav, July,2015:
- To enhance the direct interface of scientists with farmers which will hasten the lab toland approach.
- Under this scheme, groups of scientists will select villages and will remain in touch with that village and provide required information, knowledge and advisories to farmers on regular
6. Farmer FIRST: Farmer’s Farm, Innovations, Resources,
Science and Technology(FIRST), July 2015
- ‘Farmer FIRST’ is an ICAR initiative to move beyond the production and productivity and to privilege the complex, diverse & risk-prone realities of the majority of the farmers through enhancing farmers scientists’ contact with multi-stakeholders- participation.
- The focus is on Farmer’s Farm, Innovations, Resources, Science and Technology (FIRST).
7. National Agriculture Higher Education Project- Sep, 2017
- Funded by: World Bank, Implemented by: ICAR
- To provide relevant and better-quality higher education to students.
8. Mridaparikshak- July 2015
A Mobile mini soil testing lab for distributing Soil health cards to farmers.
- KIRAN (Knowledge Innovation Repository of Agriculture in North East) – 2012
List of awardees in agriculture sector 2019-20
- The World Food Prize 2020 was awarded to Ratan Lal
Note: Indian American Soil Scientist Dr. Ratan Lal played a key role in developing and mainstreaminga soil-centric approach to increase food production.
(First World Food Prize won by- MS Swaminathan in 1987)
- The world Food Prize 2021 was awarded to- Dr. Shakuntala Harak Singh Thirsted for her influential work on nutrition, fish, and aquatic food systems.
- First MS Swaminathan Award for environment protection 2019 awarded to
- Early career entomologist award from royal entomological society, London,
The U.K. bestowed to-Dr. B.S. Gotyal, senior scientist, CRIJAF, Barrackpore (for his outstanding contribution in jute pest management).
- Indian Biodiversity Award 2021 conferred to Shaji N M (Tuber man of India)
Krishi Karman Awards : ICAR Important For IBPS AFO,NABARD
- Krishi Karman awards were instituted in the year – 2010-11 (with cash Prize 5cr, trophy & citation)
- To reward the best performing states in food grains and individual crops of Rice, wheat, pulses, Coarse Cereals and
- Krishi Karman Award for the highest production of food grain (>10 mt) awarded to Chhattisgarh
- Krishi Karman Award for the best-performing state in Overall Foodgrain Production Category-III(production less than 1 million tone) awarded to Manipur
- Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Rashtriya Krishi Vigyan Protsahan Puraskar 2019 (Best KVK) awarded to KVK Datia (M.P.) & KVK Venkataramanna Gudem (A.P)
- Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR institution award (2019) in the University category awarded to B.Pant University of Agriculture and Technology
- Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR institution award (2019) in the large institute category awarded to CMFRI,
- Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR institution award (2019) in the small institute category awarded to CICR,
IMPORTANT POSTS FOR COMPETATIVE EXAMS :-
ICAR Important Notes For IBPS AFO, NABARD & Agri Exam notes => CLICK TO DOWNLOAD <=