In, this important topic of Animal Husbandry we have added important One-liners we have also added 20th Livestock Census Highlights we have added many important topics like Livestock Highest Population, Aquaculture Scenario-2019-20, Fisheries Statistics
Animal Husbandry Important One-liners
- The share of the world livestock population in India is 15%.
- The total livestock population in India is 78 million
- India’s position in Livestock population is First (Largest Livestock Population).
- The First livestock census (once 5 years) was conducted in India in the year 1919-20.
- India’s largest states with the highest livestock population are Uttar Pradesh > Rajasthan.
- The total egg production in the country during 2019-20 was 38 billion.
- The largest egg-producing state in India in Andhra Pradesh (19.1%) >Tamil Nadu (18.2%) >Telangana (13.2%)
- The per capita availability of eggs in 2019-20 was 86 eggs per
- Total Milk production in the country during 2019-20 was4 million tones
- India’s share in World Milk production is 21%
- India’s rank in world Milk production
- The per capita availability of milk was 407 grams per person per
- The contribution of Livestock to Agricultural GDP is 28%.
- The contribution of Livestock to Overall GDP is 2%.
- The target is to double milk processing capacity from the existing 53 MT to 108 MT by 2025.
- The estimated demand for Milk and Milk products by 2030 at an all-India level is 5 million metric tonnes
- The Total Meat production in the country in 2019-20 was 6 million tonnes.
- India’s first Government-run animal ambulance set up in Andhra Pradesh (175 mobile ambulances (Veterinary Clinics) will be
- India’s rank in meat production in the world was 5th.
20th Livestock Census Highlights:
- The total livestock population in India is 535.78 million.
|Livestock Headcount (in million)|
|Total livestock population 535.78Million|
- The Total Bovine Population is 79 Million
- The Total Exotic/Crossbreed population is 42 Million
- West Bengal has the highest cattle populating state in India.
- Telangana has the highest sheep population state in India.
- Uttar Pradesh has the highest buffalo populating state in India.
- Rajasthan has the highest Goat & Camel population state in India.
- Tamil Nadu has the highest Poultry population state in India.
- Uttar Pradesh has the highest total livestock population.
- Share of world livestock population in India- 15%
- India’s position in Livestock population First (Largest Livestock Population)
- The First livestock census (once 5years) was conducted in India in the year- 1919-20
- India’s largest states with the highest livestock population are-Uttar Pradesh >Rajasthan
|Livestock Highest Population|
|Animal Highest Population|
|Exotic and crossbreed||Tamil Nadu|
|Yalk||Jammu & Kashmir|
|Total Livestock||Uttar Pradesh|
- India is the second-largest producer of fish and Freshwater fish in the world and accounts for 58 percent of the global production.
Note: Total quantity of world fish production is 178.5 million metric tonnes.
- The total fish production in India during 2019-20 was- 16 million metric tonnes (MMT)
- (Includes Inland fish production of 43 MMT and Marine fish production of 3.72 MMT)
- The contribution fisheries sector to overall GVA was 24 and contribution to the agricultural GVA was- 7.28 per cent (Rs. 2,12,915 crores)
- The certification scheme launched by Marine Products Exports Development Authority (MPEDA) for aquaculture products is called- ‘Shaphari
- Uttar Pradesh was awarded as best performing state in the inland fisheries sector while Odisha got the award of the best Marine state
- The Union Ministry of Commerce & Industry launched an e-marketplace to connect aqua farmers and the buyers is e-SANTA (Electronic Solution for Augmenting NaCSA Trade-in Aquaculture). 15 April 2021.
- Note: National Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture (NaCSA) is an extension arm of
- Rajiv Gandhi Center developed mud Crab Hatchery technology to boost the growth of the aquaculture sector for Aquaculture (RGCA). RGCA R&D arm of MPEDA.
- Gujarat is the leading state in Marine Fish production.
- Andhra Pradesh is the leading state in Inland Fish production.
- World Fish Centre headquarter located at- Penang, Malaysia
- The Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute is in Kochin,
- The Central Finland Fisheries Research Institute is in Barrack pore, West Bengal
- The Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE) is in Mumbai, Maharashtra
- The Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture is in
- The Central Government Launched a “Blue revolution scheme” for the overall development of the fisheries sector including enhancement of production and productivity, improving the livelihood of the fishers and welfare of fishermen in 2015.
- The primary aim of the Blue revolution is to augment Fish production to about 20 MT by 2022-23.
- Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY launched in-2020) aims to enhance fish production to 220 lakh metric tons by 2024-25.
- The PMMSY intends to increase aquaculture productivity to 5 tonnes per hectare (up from the national average of 3 tonnes per hectare)
- National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) Headquartered in Hyderabad
- Contribution of fisheries to Agricultural exports- 20% (Rs.46, 662 crores)
- Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF) was set up on 23rd October 2018 with worth 7, 522 crores to fill the large infrastructure gaps in the fisheries sector in the country.
- Sri Giriraj Singh is the Minister of animal husbandry dairying and fisheries.
- The Govt. of India set up a Fisheries export target of Rs.1 lakh crore to be achieved by 2024-25.
- An Independent Department of Fisheries has been created in 2019 to provide sustained and focused attention towards the development of the fisheries sector.
|Global position||2nd in Fisheries 2nd in Aquaculture,|
|Contribution of Fisheries to GDP||1.24%|
|Contribution to Agricultural GDP||7.28%|
|Per capita fish availability (Kg)||10.56|
|Present fish Production||14.16 MMT|
IMPORTANT POSTS FOR COMPETATIVE EXAMS :-
Animal Husbandry For IBPS AFO, NABARD, RRB SO PDF DOWNLOAD
=> CLICK TO DOWNLOAD <=